Attractions

Vicksburg Battlefield Museum

Vicksburg Battlefield Museum

The producers of the "Great Ships" on the History Channel not only filmed much of their program at Vicksburg, Battlefield Museum, but they also called it a "Gold Mine!"

For many years, the "Vanishing Glory" and The Gray & Blue Naval Museum were favorite stops for visitors to Vicksburg, the Gibraltar of the Confederacy and the Red Carpet City of the South.

In 2003, those facilities merged with the dream for a national military and inland waterway museum and resource center.

Now see both attractions for one low price! Plus our 4,000-sq-ft exhibits!

Vicksburg media coverage always points to the Vicksburg Battlefield Museum as "the place to start" your visit to this historic battleground.

The World's Largest Collection of
War Between the States Gunboats!

Within the walls of our museum, the Steamer Sprague, Big Mama of the Mississippi, lives again. She is joined by hundreds of vessels from every period in United States history.

From the strange dragon-headed "Western Engineer," to the famous racing "Robert E. Lee" and "Natchez," to the earliest submarines and latest fighting ships.

New models are being added every month from some of America's best model makers.

Our exhibit, "If It Floats, Put A Cannon On It!," features ships that fought on the Mississippi River during the Civil War.

"They Also Fought" includes submarines, blockade runners, Confederate raiders, ironclads, tinclads, wooden gunboats, and hospital ships in the Civil War.

Another exhibit, "The Mississippians," highlights our unique collection of model ships named after Mississippi, Mississippians, and places in Mississippi.

Our "Life on the River" collection shows different types of civilian craft that have operated on the Mississippi River and other inland rivers throughout the nation and our history.

There is just too much to describe.

HOURS

9-5 Daily
Closed Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving
& New Years Day

Easy In, Easy Out

We are easy to get to from Interstate 20 and have plenty of room available for bus parking.

Vicksburg National Military Park

Vicksburg National Military Park

 
 

Quicklinks:

Welcome to the Vicksburg National Military Park website.

The park commemorates the campaign, siege, and defense of Vicksburg. The city's surrender on July 4, 1863, along with the capture of Port Hudson, LA, on July 8, split the South, giving control of the Mississippi River to the Union. Over 1,340 monuments, a restored Union gunboat, and National Cemetery mark the 16-mile tour road.

Holiday Closures

Cemetery Road Closure

   

Virtual Museum Exhibit

This exhibit highlights one of the Civil War's pivotal struggles, the battle for control of the Mississippi. It features life in Vicksburg, Mississippi, during the devastating 47-day siege of 1863. It depicts hardships of civilians and soldiers in a besieged city. The exhibit gives richly illustrated insights into life aboard the USS Cairo , a Union ironclad gunboat in the "Brown Water" navy. On December 12, 1862, in the Yazoo River north of Vicksburg, Cairo struck two underwater torpedoes and sank in 12 minutes, with no loss of life. Preserved by mud and silt, the Cairo sat on the bottom of the river for 102 years. She was raised in 1964 and was later restored along with many of the objects that were found aboard. The recovered objects give a unique window into daily life and leisure time of Union officers and sailors during the Civil War.
 
   

USS Cairo Gunboat and Museum

The USS Cairo (pronounced Care-o), a Union ironclad commanded by Thomas O. Selfridge, Jr., was named for Cairo, Illinois, and commissioned on January 16, 1862. On December 12, 1862, in the Yazoo River north of Vicksburg, Cairo struck two underwater torpedoes (today called mines) sinking in less than 12 minutes with no loss of life. Preserved by mud and silt, Cairo sat on the bottom of the Yazoo River for 102 years. It was raised in 1964, and later restored. The ironclad is now on display within Vicksburg National Military Park.
 
   

Vicksburg National Cemetery

Vicksburg National Cemetery encompasses 117.85 acres and includes over 18,000 interments. Graves of Civil War soldiers total 17,077, of which 12,909 are unknown. An additional 1,280 graves are occupied by soldiers who participated in the Indian Wars, Spanish-American War, World Wars I and II, and the Korean Conflict.
 
   

Commanders and Troops

Patriotism during the Civil War was deep-rooted, and over 600,000 enlisted men and officers would die in pursuit of two opposing dreams. These fighting men, both North and South, made the best of life on the battlefield and in camp, amid the hardship and tedium of soldiering.
 

Write to

Vicksburg National Military Park
3201 Clay Street
Vicksburg, Mississippi 39183

Phone

Visitor Information
(601) 636-0583

Fax

(601) 636-9497
 

Climate

Sunny, with humid rainy periods throughout the year. Sudden and severe thunderstorms are common. Mild winters. Summers hot and humid. Wear comfortable sportswear in season, with walking or hiking shoes recommended.
 
 
 
 

Did You Know?
The 43d Mississippi Infantry's mascot, Douglas the Camel, remained with the regiment until Vicksburg where he was killed by Union sharpshooters. Douglas is honored with his own grave marker in Vicksburg's Cedar Hill Cemetery.

Mississippi River Tours

Mississippi River Tours

Hello & Welcome to Mississippi River Tours, LLC.
Come take a ride on the "Sweet Olive"!


2010 Schedule
RESERVATIONS SUGGESTED FOR ALL CRUISES
August 15-September 4
September 5-September 25
September 26-October 16
October 17-November 6
November 7-November 30
Mon-Sat 6:30 p.m. Sunset Cruise
Mon-Sat 6:00 p.m. Sunset Cruise
Mon-Sat 5:30 p.m. Sunset Cruise
Mon-Sat 5:00 p.m. Sunset Cruise
Mon-Sat 4:00 p.m. Sunset Cruise
*Sunday Tours are for groups only
*Call about special holiday schedules
*Tourists may be added to group tours and school field trips if space allows
*Must have 15 to cruise, maximum is 49

Extra tours may be added during holidays. Please call for information.

Call for information on field trips, group tours and parties.


Sunset Cruise: approx. 1 hour and 15 min. in length.
Sit back, relax and enjoy the beauty of the sunset over the Mississippi River-includes the narrative tour.

The "Sweet Olive" is enclosed with large panoramic windows & heated for winter use.
Reservations are suggested.

  • Tour Groups
  • Church Groups
  • Private Parties
  • Wedding Parties
  • Meetings
  • Field Trips & More

INFORMATION & RESERVATIONS
Phone:(601) 883-1083 • Fax (601) 661-8461 • Toll Free 1-866-807-BOAT (2628)
email: info@msrivertours.com

The "Sweet Olive" is located at 1208 Levee St. on the
Historic Downtown Waterfront.
( see directions, Map and Geo location. )

More information can be obtained by visiting Lorelei Books
1103 Washington Street in downtown Vicksburg.

Mailing Address Only:
4701 Bovina Cutoff Road • Vicksburg, MS 39180

Biedenharn Coca-Cola Mueseum

Biedenharn Coca-Cola Meseum

The Biedenharn Coca-Cola Museum was a collaborative effort between the Vicksburg Foundation for Historic Preservation , and the Biedenharn family, the original bottlers of Coca-Cola. The museum houses a wide variety of exhibits interpreting the beginnings of Coca-Cola, the history of the Biedenharn family, the process used to first bottle Coca-Cola, a reproduction of the equipment first used to bottle Coke, the history of Coca-Cola advertising, and Coca-Cola memorabilia from past to present. The authentically-restored candy store and office area feature furnishings and displays of the 1890s and offers ice cream, fountain Cokes, Coke floats and a wide selection of Coca-Cola souvenirs.

In 1866, Dr. John S. Pemberton, a pharmacist in Atlanta, Georgia, created what would become the most recognized and popular soft drink on earth.

Dr. Pemberton, no relation to the famous officer who defended Vicksburg during the Siege of Vicksburg, and Coca-Cola's second owner, Asa Chandler, began distribution of the syrup to other soda foundations across the South, including Vicksburg.

The rest of the story will come from Mr. Joe Biedenharn in a letter to then vice president of the Coca-Cola Company, Harrison Jones, dated September 11, 1939.

"Dear Harrison:

Replying to your inquiry in your recent letter, beg to advise that I think it was in the summer of 1894 that we first bottled Coca-Cola at what was then 218-220 Washington Street, Vicksburg, Mississippi.

It was through Mr. A. G. Chandler's suggestion to me upon one of his business trips to Vicksburg that finally led up to our bottling Coca-Cola. He suggested to me that we stock and job Coca-Cola syrup to supply the fountain dispensing trade in and around Vicksburg. The agreement between us was that we were to buy not less than 2,000 gallons of Coca-Cola syrup during a 12-month period, subject to 25 cent per gallon rebate at the end of the 12-month period.

We were operating a wholesale and retail confectionary business and were dispensing Coca-Cola through our soda fountain, so this proposal fell right into line with our jobbing business.

Consumer demand has increased and was increasing rapidly, as a Coca-Cola would only be had in the cities where the fountains were dispending it. The thought struck on day, "Why not bottle it for our country trade?" We were in the soda water bottling game and it was easy to start it going.

We sent one of our first cases of bottled Coca-Cola to Mr. Candler and he wrote back that it was fine. Prices at that time were 785 cents per case on Coca-Cola and 60 cents per case on bottled soda water. This started us off on the right track and I have seen Coca-Cola grow with us from a five-gallon keg the first year to what it is today."

When Joe Biedenharn decided to bottle Coca-Cola, he used the bottles that he had on hand, those that he was using to bottle soda water using equipment he had bought from the Sarasota Springs operation. These were Hutchinson blob-top bottles embossed with "Biedenharn Candy Company, Vicksburg, Miss."

These bottles were sealed with a rubber disk that was pushed into the neck of the bottle and held with a wire. The bottles were used for only a short time because the rubber changed the flavor of the drink after about a week.

In the early 1900s, Joe switched to straight-sided crown bottles which maintained the integrity of the true taste of Coca-Cola. They did not, however, give any uniformity to the packaging image of the beverage. The color of the glass varied from clear and aqua to differing shades of blue, green and amber.

In addition, the amount of liquid that a bottle contained varied from 6-7 ounces. The early straight-sided crown bottles were hand blown in molds which often left rough seams, bubbles, imperfections and irregular areas of thick and thin glass. After 1910, the bottles were machine-made and became more uniform. Biedenharn straight-sides were embossed with "Biedenharn Candy Company, Vicksburg, Miss.," with Coca-Cola in script across the base in some cases.

By 1913, those involved in the Coca-Cola Company saw the need for a distinctive package in order to fight imitators. Ben Thomas, one of the original patent bottlers, noted that "we need a bottle which a person can recognize as a Coca-Cola bottle when he feels it in the dark.”

As a result of some inaccurate research by the team at Root Glass Company of Terre Haute, Indiana, a bottle was designed that resembled the cacao bean, the source of chocolate instead of the coca bean. Nonetheless, the Root Glass Company bested eight other competitors at a meeting of the seven bottlers in 1916.

The exaggerated center section was trimmed down and the “contour” bottle, or “Mae West” bottle or “Hobble skirt” bottle, whichever name you chose, was born. The bottle was recognized by the United States patent office in 1960, a distinction among bottles shared at the time by only one other.

Baer House Inn

Baer House

Welcome to Baer House Inn Bed and Breakfast!

The Inn is a large Victorian mansion built in 1870 with personalized service for our limited number of guests. Our 7 guest rooms are all located in the main house and are tastefully furnished with period antiques, king & queen sized beds and private bathrooms.

A full breakfast is served each morning in the ballroom and a social hour is held each evening with wine and snacks.

We are located in the heart of historic Vicksburg, within walking distance to museums, antique shopping, historic Washington Street, restaurants and the National Military Park.

We have packages for weekday and weekend getaways that include romance, history, golf or shopping. Let us know what your interests are and we can tailor a package for you. We can also accommodate you with specialty private candlelight dinners at the mansion for anniversaries, honeymoons, birthdays or other special events. Arrive as strangers, depart as friends!

History

The Baer House has an interesting history, filled with love and happenings of two very different families. The home was built on a site with a brick structure dating prior to 1850. In 1870 Leona and Lazrus Baer constructed the huge Victorian with a goal of impressing guests with the elaborate woodwork and grand ballroom. This home was filled with beautiful daughters and a beloved son. They lived, loved, laughed, and cried within the walls of this happy home.

Leona Baer had decided on the home's special construction and monitored it's building. She insisted it be of similar design to the large Eastlake style Victorians just becoming popular for the wealthy in America. She also was adamant that the kitchen would be inside the house and there would be privies on the first floor for guests and on the second floor for family; a his-and-hers two-story outhouse was the result! The home had 11 fireplaces, 4 cisterns, a wellhouse and a carriage house. It is one of the best examples of Eastlake Victorian style in the state of Mississippi and is included in "Victorian Houses of Mississippi". The cornice is modillioned and the windows display segmental arches with raised brick drip molds. Fish scale shingles and carved vergeboards accent the gable ends. The home clearly reflected the prosperity that Mr. Baer, a Jewish immigrant from Germany, had accumulated by the 1870's through his dry goods store, Baer and Brothers, established in 1865. Baer House Inn is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Please come and help us enjoy this wonderful home. Step back in time - enjoy the elegant rooms, woodwork, and style of the past. Try Southern hospitality at its best.

History abounds in Vicksburg. Enjoy antique shops, outlet malls, historic homes, carriage rides in old town, and even gaming on our river boat casinos. You can visit the National Military Park and watch the grand Mississippi River roll by.

Please contact us for reservations .

Martha Vick House

Martha Vick House

A Charming, Enlightening Vicksburg Journey
This mini-mansion, built in 1830, in Greek Revival architecture, gives the unique feel of Deep South wealth and elegance as Vicksburg prepared to become the largest city in the state led by the family that built this wonderful home. The home is authentically restored and furnished with fine antiques and late impressionist paintings. Begin your Vicksburg tours here!
Admission: $8.00. More than 10, $5. Under 12 free.

George Washington Ball House

George Washington Ball House

According to land records, George Washington Ball, a well-to-do, distant cousin of our first president, built this Federal style house about 1822, making it one of the largest homes in “Old Town” Vicksburg at the time. In fact, Ball's neighbors included the early founders of Vicksburg.
The house was unrecognizable, obscured by additions and neglect, and its history untold for nearly a century until it was fully restored in 2004.
Today the George Washington Ball House, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, has regained its place of prominence in Old Town. Whether spending a relaxing weekend or hosting an elegant event, guests will enjoy their time in historic Vicksburg.
The George Washington Ball House has three guest rooms for overnight accommodations. Guests enjoy a full plantation breakfast served each morning at neighboring Anchuca Historic Mansion & Inn , as well as turndown service each night and access to the grounds and swimming pool at Anchuca. Daily Rate: $125

Bazsinsky House

Bazsinsky House

Two conflicting stories; one a fifty-three page handwritten family history, the other a researched account of documented events, address the property from as early as 1840. Both conclude that the majestic structure, built by Joseph Bazsinsky as a town house, remained a home for his large Jewish family through four generations until early in the twenty-first century. As the family evolved, the house evolved and has become an excellent example of the architectural mysteries created by changing times, needs, and desires.

Rooms available by the night and space available for events.

Joseph Bazsinsky Town House and Olga Douglas Lewis Gardens are across from the old Courthouse Museum in downtown Vicksburg.

Tours are available daily.

Follow us on Facebook.

Golf Package: Clear Creek Golf and Vicksburg Country Club.

Call or stop by for more information.

All major credit cards accepted.

 


Stay 2 get 3rd Free
Pay for 2 nights and Stay for 3! Free night applies to least expensive night. Limited Time.


Midweek 13% off
Stay midweek and get 13% off each night with a 2 night minimum nights stay. Higher rates on weekends. Limited Time.


Sunday Special
Start your stay on Sunday and get 15% off. 10% off on additional weekdays and higher rates on weekends.


Weekly Special
Minimum nights stay 7. No refunds on early check out. Twice a week housekeeping policy.